Inter Club Challenge, Stewartby - 1st September 2018

Congratulations to Stewartby SC

who won the Inter-Club trophy once again!

We all had a fabulous day at Stewartby. The sun and wind could not have been better, and we could not have been made more welcome by Stewartby Sailing Club. Thanks to SWSC Commodore Gerry Howcroft and all the members for their warm hospitality. Just a pity the complicated calculations didn't swing our way at the end. Ah well, there's always 2019!

A jubilant Gerry Howcroft receives the trophy from Welly Race Officer, Charles Adams

Click to see an album of Val’s photos of the day.

Team Welly who gave it their best shot - Phil Walter, Mike Caddy,

Peter Thornley, Shaun Smale, Paul McAlister, Charles Adams and David Lambert

Welly Pete Thornley gives his first-hand account of the racing: “The weather was perfect for our annual inter-club challenge, with decent winds, occasional planing gusts and challenging competition. A windward start on open water was an almost forgotten experience, but I managed a reasonable start in both races.

“I was fortunate that my Stewartby contacts enabled me to borrow a newish Streaker. It took me a while in the first race to get to grips with different control lines layout, so I was back in the pack, gaining a bit later in the race, then losing it with a 180 brief windshift! Then somehow the race officer lost my result on the computer, but I was eventually awarded 3rd place - quite unexpected.

“In the second race my good friends and rivals Bill and John in Streaker and Solo didn't get a good start, so I was clear of them and following the faster boats round the first mark. I hung onto their coat tails for a good time, and pulled clear of the chasing pack, to record a 4th I think. There was an extra fast boat, an RS 300, in this race which won, but its overall result didn't count as it missed the first race.

“Overall, I was 2nd, which was surprising, and very welcome.I noted that some of our slower boats, Charles and Phil, also did well in the second race.

“We lost the competition, after a complicated calculation using averages and fractions, but did not disgrace ourselves, and we all enjoyed the freedom of a big windy lake. Well almost everyone. I did hear a Supernova sailor* muttering unpleasant things about sailing a Laser!

“Many thanks to Gerry Howcroft for organising and running the races, and to the other Stewartby members on duty on the water and in the galley.”

The Supernova sailor who had difficulty sailing a Laser was Dave Lambert. The Laser – which had been borrowed from Stewartby - turned out to have a few problems. As he was rigging it he noticed there was no self-baler bung in the cockpit but decided to use it anyway. Unfortunately, by the time the first race ended, the boat was full of water. During the break, he and Shaun turned the hull over and found the self-baler was stuck open – it had literally been scooping up water as the boat sailed along. They did a quick repair job by pressing it closed and securing it with heavy duty duct tape. This worked for a couple of laps but then failed and again Dave eventually found himself sitting in a bath of water. Understandably, not one of his best sails!

There was a good turn out of Mouse Club members including Marjorie Adams, Thelma and Brian Cardinal, Lin Smale, Lynn Lambert, Maureen Blunt, Pauline Shaw, Sheila Stowe and Val Newton who all enjoyed the sun and beautiful surroundings.

WGCSC / Stewartby InterClub Competition

2-3 Sep 2017

Congratulations to Stewartby SC

who were triumphant this time

Welly Race Officer Charles Adams reports:

In the end it was a miracle we had any racing at all….

We had eventually found a date suitable for both clubs only to find in the last week that there could be no sailing on the lake until 1.00pm, there was an accident on the A1(M) making it difficult to get to Stewartby and hanging over the whole event was a weather forecast indicating 2 mph wind at the beginning of the afternoon. Not surprisingly most opted to use the club boats on offer.

Welly sailors and boats they used …

Lasers were claimed by Mike Caddy (impressed with the one he had) and Peter Thornley. Nigel Davis thought he was going to be in Frank Puranik’s (‘Romulus’ his original Supernova kept at Stewartby SC), but ended up in an Albacore with Paul Lohr. Paul McAlister had rigged the Lightning 368 when Michelle (a Stewartby member who started sailing last year) claimed ‘her’ boat. Paul had to take what was left…. the Supernova (luckily he had been in one before….Nigel’s on the Thursday evening session). Peter Davis had brought his Phantom and Stan Turner had towed his Solo up the previous day The RS Aero was on offer, but was not claimed by anyone so was sailed by the owner (Charles Adams). The Wayfarer had mysteriously gone missing which is a pity as it might have been the best boat to have in the circumstances

Getting racing and the course …

The fishing competition concluded and we were free to race (12 anglers on an enormous lake – don’t ask!!). However, the first race was delayed until there was enough wind to move the sails (the turbine looming over the venue was still not moving). The course is usually carefully set at Stewartby and there is never anything other than a beat to the first mark. A short course, compared with normal, was in place and boats were actually moving at the start reaching or running.

The first race starts and they’re off!

Peter Davis led off the line closely followed by Charles Adams emerging from behind the committee boat. They pulled away on the right hand side of the course until the wind dropped and headed them. The Stewartby SC pair of Bill Strange (Streaker) and Terry van Rijn (Laser 8.1) crept up and eventually went ahead on the ‘reach’. Richard Hargreaves (RS 300) worked through the fleet after a slow start and eventually followed Terry over the line 3 sec down. Michelle had her best race ever and was near the front for a long time but even after falling back ended up fourth on handicap. Bill was first on handicap followed by Terry. Peter Davis and Charles sailed close behind the Streaker but on handicap were 9th and 3rd. Back in the pack Peter Thornley drifted in to 7th and resolved to find something better to do for the rest of the day. Mike Caddy had the same thoughts on finishing 11th. Nigel and Paul had a good race with the two Stewartby Albacores until entering a third lap (two would have been more than enough) they fell further and further behind in the dying wind. Suffering similarly were Stanley and Paul who struggled in ‘no wind’ with fully battened sails.

A depleted Welly team competes in the second race …

Charles had gone for some food when the second race was called so arrived rather late at the start along with Paul McAlister who had opted to take over Peter’s abandoned Laser. Finding more wind on the right of the course Peter Davis and Terry van Rijn fetched the first mark and were never seen again. The day was awful for sailing and made worse as the afternoon went on by the waves created by water skiers and body boarders coming out to play. Charles made his way through most of the fleet to race alongside Stewartby Firefly and Streaker ending 5th on the water but only a 7th on handicap. The only other Wellies to finish the second race were Paul and Stanley.

The results and presentations …

Congratulations to Stewartby SC who took the club honours once again … (but WGCSC willl be back!) With the best three individual results from the combined race scores to count, Stewartby won the team result easily (25 to 48 points). Terry van Rijn won the individual competition with Charles second. He picked up a second bottle of wine for being first visitor with Peter Davis collecting a bottle for second place. So Charles and Peter contributed to the team score along with Stanley Turner, our only junior sailor at Stewartby completing the top Trio. Well done Stanley.

Many thanks to Stewartby SC for their great hospitality. In spite of the lack of wind we all had a great time.

Welly supporters were out in force …

It was good to see the Welly support with partners and parents of the sailors but also Pauline Shaw, Val Newton, Dave Campbell (after abandoning his attempt to get through the traffic on the A1(M) with his boat), the Cardinals, the Browns, Tom and Will Etherton, and many of the Forsdike family including Janet and John, Ian and (4 yr old) Owen. And up to Stewartby to re-acquaint himself with his original Supernova was Frank Puranik. He opted out of trying to race for the first time for ….ages…. and in no wind. He returned the next day in very different conditions; with Tim Browning as Race Officer and Charles Adams on rescue duty he was seen flying across the lake. He’s back – hopefully to be seen in his newer Supernova at Stanborough.

Charles Adams (Aero) leading the fleet into the second lap of the first race, with Peter Davis (Phantom) close behind.

Charles and Peter with their bottles of wine.

Final Combined Race Results

WGCSC top 3 scorers were Charles Adams, Peter Davis and Stanley Turner

The Support Team

Webmaster's Comments: See some of Val's photographs which deserve being shown to greater advantage below.

See the full set of Val's photographs here.

And a "Morning After" photo from Charles!

Doesn't he look too bright and breezy to have had a night under canvas? (Webmaster)