Established 1973 and still racing at Stanborough Lake on Saturday Mornings

If you are seeking advice on sailing, contact us on info@wgcsc.org.uk and we can discuss what we can do to help you.
NEW MEMBERS are very welcome, so come and join us.

Peter Thornley
Helm of the year 2016-2017

Latest News

Stewartby 2017

WGCSC / Stewartby InterClub  Competition  2017

Congratulations to Stewartby SC 
who were triumphant this time

Welly Race Officer Charles Adams reports:

In the end it was a miracle we had any racing at all….

We had eventually found a date suitable for both clubs only to find in the last week that there could be no sailing on the lake until 1.00pm, there was an accident on the A1(M) making it difficult to get to Stewartby and hanging over the whole event was a weather forecast indicating 2 mph wind at the beginning  of the afternoon. Not surprisingly most opted to use the club boats on offer.

Welly sailors and boats they used …

Lasers were claimed by Mike Caddy (impressed with the one he had) and Peter Thornley. Nigel Davis thought he was going to be in Frank Puranik’s  (‘Romulus’ his original Supernova kept at Stewartby SC), but ended up in an Albacore with Paul Lohr. Paul McAlister had rigged the Lightning 368 when Michelle (a Stewartby member who started sailing last year) claimed ‘her’ boat. Paul had to take what was left…. the Supernova  (luckily he had been in one before….Nigel’s  on the Thursday evening session). Peter Davis had brought his Phantom and Stan Turner had towed his Solo up the previous day The RS Aero was on offer, but was not claimed by anyone so was sailed by the owner (Charles Adams).  The Wayfarer had mysteriously gone missing which is a pity as it might have been the best boat to have in the circumstances

Getting racing and the course …

The fishing competition concluded and we were free to race (12 anglers on an enormous lake – don’t ask!!). However, the first race was delayed until there was enough wind to move the sails (the turbine looming over the venue was still not moving).  The course is usually carefully set at Stewartby and there is never anything other than a beat to the first mark. A short course, compared with normal, was in place and boats were actually moving at the start reaching or running. 

The first race starts and they’re off! 

Peter Davis led off the line closely followed by Charles Adams emerging from behind the committee boat. They pulled away on the right hand side of the course until the wind dropped and headed them. The Stewartby SC  pair of Bill Strange (Streaker) and Terry van Rijn (Laser 8.1) crept up and eventually went ahead on the ‘reach’.  Richard Hargreaves (RS 300) worked through the fleet after a slow start and eventually followed Terry over the line 3 sec down.  Michelle had her best race ever and was near the front for a long time but even after falling back ended up fourth on handicap. Bill was first on handicap followed by Terry.  Peter Davis and Charles sailed close behind the Streaker but  on handicap were 9th and 3rd. Back in the pack Peter Thornley drifted in to 7th and resolved to find something better to do for the rest of the day. Mike Caddy had the same thoughts on finishing 11th. Nigel and Paul had a good race with the two Stewartby Albacores until entering a third lap (two would have been more than enough) they fell further and further behind in the dying wind.  Suffering similarly were Stanley and Paul who struggled in ‘no wind’ with fully battened sails.

A depleted Welly team competes in the second race …

Charles had gone for some food when the second race was called so arrived rather late at the start along with Paul McAlister who had opted to take over Peter’s abandoned Laser. Finding more wind on the right of the course Peter Davis and Terry van Rijn fetched the first mark and were never seen again. The day was awful for sailing and made worse as the afternoon went on by the waves created by water skiers and body boarders coming out to play. Charles made his way through most of the fleet to race alongside Stewartby Firefly and Streaker ending 5th on the water but only a 7th on handicap. The only other Wellies to finish the second race were Paul and Stanley.

The results and presentations …

Congratulations to Stewartby SC who took the club honours once again … (but WGCSC willl be back!)  With the best three individual results from the combined race scores to count, Stewartby won the team result easily (25 to 48 points). Terry van Rijn won the individual competition with Charles second.  He picked up a second bottle of wine for being first visitor with Peter Davis collecting a bottle for second place. So Charles and Peter contributed to the team score along with Stanley Turner, our only junior sailor at Stewartby completing the top Trio. Well done Stanley.
Many thanks to Stewartby SC for their great hospitality.  In spite of the lack of wind we all had a great time.    

Welly supporters were out in force …

It was good to see the Welly support with partners and parents of the sailors but also Pauline Shaw, Val Newton, Dave Campbell (after abandoning his attempt to get through the traffic on the A1(M) with his boat), the Cardinals, the Browns, Tom and Will Etherton, and many of the Forsdike family including Janet and John, Ian and (4 yr old) Owen. And up to Stewartby to re-acquaint himself with his original Supernova was Frank Puranik. He opted out of trying to race for the first time for ….ages…. and in no wind. He returned the next day in very different conditions; with Tim Browning as Race Officer and Charles Adams on rescue duty he was seen flying across the lake. He’s back – hopefully to be seen in his newer Supernova at Stanborough. 

Charles Adams (Aero) leading the fleet into the second lap of the first race, with Peter Davis (Phantom) close behind.

Charles and Peter with their bottles of wine.

Final Combined Race Results

WGCSC top 3 scorers were Charles Adams, Peter Davis and Stanley Turner 


The Support Team


Webmaster's Comments: See some of Val's photographs which deserve being shown to greater advantage below.



See the full set of Val's photographs here

  And a "Morning After" photo from Charles!

Doesn't he look too bright and breezy to have had a night under canvas? (Webmaster)

‘OOH LA LA!’ at Stanborough Lake! 
With a drop of Bordeaux Wine!
Whatever next?!


Have you ever seen such excitement and so exuberant a Monsieur Rohart?!!!


On Saturday 12th August, Monsieur Patrick Rohart - our WGCSC member from France – proudly launched his brand new Supernova dinghy “Ooh La La!” at Stanborough Lake.

He is pictured here, enjoying the exciting moment, with Dave Lambert, his good friend and fellow Supernova sailor.  (Could it be that they were twins separated at birth?!)

But doesn't Ooh La La! look well....????

And where is the Bordeaux wine? Well, in case you haven't guessed, that is the colour of the boat!

Patrick thoroughly enjoyed putting his new boat through its paces but there was not to be a fairytale ending on this occasion.  He thought he'd done really well in the first race, then followed this up with a 2nd in the second race.  However, at the end of racing, he was told he'd missed a mark in the first race and sadly received a 'DISQ' on the results sheet.

Never mind Patrick, the signs are all good for the future.



WGCSC Summer Regatta, 17 June 2017

Dave Lambert and Paul Lohr Win Summer Regatta Trophies

 Dave Lambert, FF winner
Three times in a row
   Ian Stringer, OOD
A heart-shaped course
  Paul Lohr, SF Winner
A British Moth day 

Winner of this year’s Summer Regatta Fast Fleet Trophy was Supernova sailor Dave Lambert, making it a triumphant three times in a row. Second place went to Nigel Davis in his new Supernova, and 3rd was Roger Morse, Leader.

The Slow Fleet Trophy went to Paul Lohr in his British Moth, 2nd was new junior Ben Hawker in his Comet, and 3rd was Mike Fairman, Gull.

There was one delightful moment at the presentation, when the Race Officer pointed out that 13-year-old Ben Hawker (Comet 217) had actually won the third slow fleet race on handicap, beating Paul Lohr. There was a big Welly cheer, but unfortunately Ben was nowhere to be seen and wasn’t able to enjoy the applause and acclaim for winning his first ever club race at Stanborough.

Left: The very moment that Ben Hawker nipped in to take the third race from Paul Lohr, just before they rounded the last mark before the hooter.

Ben’s Dad, Simon Hawker, assisted Alan Pearce in the Safety Boat, which was much appreciated.

The weather was hot, but there was a light breeze which kept the fleet on the move.  Ten boats battled round the heart-shaped course set by OOD Ian Stringer.  They sailed two races back-to-back, followed by a coffee break, then a final race.  Peter Thornley competed in his new Supernova in the event for the first time.

Ian and Jill Stringer ran the racing, ably assisted by Phil Walter and Pauline Shaw – well there WAS a lot of complicated hooting and noting of laps and times!

Merry-go-round at the bottom mark near the café - all good fun!

The full results and be found here.

And finally...... A selection of Val's photographs tell the story of the day. 
(Double-click any photograph for an enlarged image. When viewed use the browser "return" button)

 OOD Ian Stringer and his able assistant, Jill   Roger Morse leads the Fast Fleet into the second lap
 Should Ben have defended his position before Dave arrived?!.........   ......because this is what happened next
(Enlarge the image to see the public spectators in the background!)
 Dave Lambert and Nigel Davis make choices at the gate......   ......while Jill and AOD Phil Walter keep a check on the race action
The sun shone for the Summer Regatta presentation  A rare but very welcome visitor - Morag Campbell, down from Aberdeen to see her brother, Dave. 

Pauline storms to a 4th place in Challenger UK Nationals

Our Welly Sailability sailor, Pauline Shaw, has once again put in a storming performance at the Challenger UK Nationals, which were held at Grafham Water over the weekend of 24/25 June 2017.   

A total of 19 competitors sailed six races in perfect winds touching 20 knots.   Overall 1st was Val Millward from Rutland, and Pauline – who sails for Grafham Sailability - was top home boat with a very creditable 4th place. 

Her result was all the more remarkable because Pauline had already used up lots of energy organising the event - which involved a team of about 45 people, to run the racing, provide safety cover, rig and launch the boats, and keep everyone supplied with cups of coffee.
Congratulations Pauline on a job well done!

The photograph above shows Pauline in 266 catching two other Challengers which she eventually beat. (Photograph courtesy of Steve Radley of Radley Photography.)

Peter suffers shock damage to his Phantom


On Saturday 20th May, Peter Davis was sailing along the left bank, heading up to Mark 5, when he decided to tack out into the lake.  Suddenly, a gust caught him and he capsized.  As the boat was righted, the mast fell down and, in the process, ripped off the top surface of the bow (see pic).  No collision  was involved so the Race Officer cannot award the Porthole Trophy to anyone for this disaster.  Peter may be smiling in the photo but he is pretty fed up about it and says he is amazed at the damage.  Now he has to run the course of checking out his insurance and  have the boat repaired before he can get back on the water.

Celebration of the Life of Piotr Caban

 The Memorial Mass for Piotr Caban took place on Wednesday 17th May at Our Lady Queen of Apostles RC Church in WGC.  It was attended by his wife Sylwia, daughter Ewa, family members, colleagues from Roche where he worked, members of the Polish community and friends from the church family. The sailing club was represented by Commodore Nigel Davis, Tony Hale, Roger Morse, Charles Adams, Pauline Shaw, Lin Smale, Stanley and his Mum Rosemary Turner, and Val Newton.
Parts of the service were conducted in English and Polish.  Fortunately, we were not required to sing in Polish because the musicians - a guitarist and girl singer - were bilingual.
Father Norbert Fernandes, who was the Celebrant, made a special mention of Piotr's love of the sailing club, and he also asked Nigel Davis to read one of the Scripture passages.
Immediately afterwards, we had the opportunity to meet Sylwia and Ewa, and hand over the Club's sympathy cards, presents for the baby, and the donations collected from club members by Tony Hale.  Sylwia was very touched and promised to send a photo of their new baby, Jasmine Angelina, who was born after Piotr passed away. 
Sylwia and Ewa returned to Gdansk with Piotr's ashes the next day and there was another funeral service near their home on Saturday 20th May for family and friends.  May he rest in peace.
                                                                                                                        Val Newton      

Postscript: See the report in the Welwyn Hatfield Times including a beautiful photograph of Sylwia and Baby Jasmina at  http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/welwyn-garden-city-hit-and-run-piotr-caban-roche-sailing-club-1-5035470

New Young Talent joins the Club

Lucy and her brother Ben Hawker first appeared on the scene on March 25th and sailed RS Qubas in a Pursuit.  Since then, Lucy has been tied up with exams at school, but Ben has raced several times.  Both showed themselves to be confident sailors.

Then  on April 29th,  Ben (right) was joined by Tom Etherton, a summer evening sailor from last  year. 

They immediately recognised each other as they’re both students at Verulam School..  This time Ben sailed  a Quba, and Tom competed in “Swansong”, the Comet his parents had bought from Nigel Davis.   After racing, they both decided to have some fun in the  lagoon by jumping in and splashing around in their drysuits. 

This is what it feels like to be 13 years old in case you've forgotten!

MORE ABOUT TOM    Sarah, Tom’s Mum, gives us some background:  “Tom started sailing almost two summers ago when we enrolled him on a week’s sailing course in SW France with Rockley Watersports, gaining his RYA 2.  Last May he went on a residential weekend away with school to Tollesbury on the Blackwater estuary and gained his RYA 3.  He did another weekend in October getting his RYA 4.  In between those weekends he enrolled with WGCSC and started racing on Saturdays and going along to Wedneday evening sailing.   We have just bought Nigel’s Comet and Will (Tom’s Dad) is busy re-rigging it.  I think Tom will enjoy sailing it and of course racing and having fun, especially with Ben.

MORE ABOUT BEN    Louise, Ben’s Mum, writes:  Ben has been sailing for about four years.  He has RYA 1-4 and a “Start Racing” qualification.  He has sailed at Calshot, Richkmansworth Aquadrome and Tollesbury.  Tollesbury was his favourite place so far because there was lots of wind!  He would love to sail a Dart 12.   He has really enjoyed the few weeks that he has been attending the club sessions because everyone has been so friendly and welcoming.  He especially enjoyed the week he joined Tom for a swim!

And then there were three!

New sailor Nick Evans (left) joins Ben and Tom on Saturday 20th May


Our Commodore's Mystery Love

Who is the mystery female our Commodore refuses to name?   On Saturday 29th April he showed her off in the dinghy park for the first time.  She has a beautiful slim body and was much admired by fellow Wellys.  Nigel Davis just couldn't stop smiling.  Since then they have been getting on very well.  It looks like this new lady could change his life.

WGCSC's  New Race Officer Reports for Business
At the beginning of the year, when Phil Walter told the committee he had decided to step down from the post of Race Officer after four years,  a slight frisson of panic went round the room!   Who could we possibly ask to follow Phil?   The first name to be mentioned was Charles Adams and we are truly fortunate that he accepted Commodore Nigel Davis's invitation without hesitation.  Charles is not only a former Commodore, but has the right qualifications for the job, ie. he knows the RYA Rules and is a wizz with a computer and spreadsheets!   His nomination was unopposed at the AGM on 2nd April 2017 and Charles was voted in unanimously to the sound of a rousing cheer!
Let's hear what your new Race Officer has to say:
"Your new Race Officer reporting for business and ready to build on what Phil has done for the club. I should like to continue his attempts to maximise our time on the water by eliminating the AOOD wherever possible. We have achieved this regularly with Pursuits, but now to try more of the races. Use more of our irregular sailors? Parents of youngsters on the water? Mouse Club volunteers to help at the end of races...
"I would like to think that we can pursue the family friendly ethos especially with regard to youngsters. To this end I wish to encourage OODs (and Rescue Drivers) to try to eliminate unnecessarily difficult sailing conditions eg marks in the open rather than under trees. This makes for ‘fairer’ racing (less of a lottery) and reduces the ‘impossible’ areas for beginners (and me).

"Your thoughts on the above and anything else to make things better are welcome. Best wishes, Charles."

Surprise competitors at Easter Regatta
had to battle breezy conditions

Easter Saturday turned out to be a bright and breezy day.   As boats were being rigged in the lagoon, sails were flapping wildly, and promised some interesting action on the water for the 14 helms hoping to win the Easter Egg Cup, donated by the Fishwick family.

 A group pic before the start, with Marcus Raymond holding the course board. The fleet making for the first mark and concentrating hard   Pete Thornley "Streakers" ahead to steal a lead at the start of the third race

Three “summer evening sailors” from last year were surprise entrants and were warmly welcomed at the briefing – Gino Ciupa, who sailed Nigel’s old Comet, and Stanley Turner & Samuel McAlister who teamed up and sailed an RS Vision.

 Mike Caddy’s son Jack also took part – the last time he’d been to the club was when he was a boy, but he is now a graduate and taller than his Dad – and he sailed an RS Q’ba.

OOD Phil Walter set a simple figure-of-eight course of 4-3-5-1  (or so he thought)  but several helms inexplicably headed for the wrong marks and later had to be disqualified.  The format was also different.  Phil decided to run three 45 minute races instead of two.  One sailor said afterwards that he’d enjoyed the shorter races.

 Patrick Rohart and Annette Walter fight it out on a beat  Roger Morse and Sheila Stowe  in action    Tony Hale rescues his crew, Marcus Raymond

Considering the conditions, it was surprising that only a few boats capsized during the morning although it was a close-run thing at times.  Two of the “star turns” were Gino, who insisted on battling on in spite of having trouble getting upright after his first capsize, and Tony Hale and junior sailor Marcus Raymond who provided some fun entertainment for people at the café end of the lake.

All the sailors received a Cadbury’s Chocolate Crème Egg at the end of racing, but the winner of the large luxury Thornton chocolate egg, and the Easter Egg Regatta Cup was Annette Walter.  Second place went to Peter Thornley (Streaker), followed by Nigel Davis (Comet), and Charles Adams (Miracle).   
For the first time in many years, the junior Easter Egg cup was also awarded.  It went to Stanley Turner and Samuel McAlister – well done to them.

 Annette Walter, winner of the Easter Egg Regatta   Pete Thornley, runner up in the Regatta  Stanley Turner and Samuel McAlister winners of the junior Easter Egg Regatta trophy

Thanks go to OOD Phil Walter and AOD Ian Stringer for all their hard work, as well as Rescue Driver Alan Pearce, and his assistants, Sheila Stowe and Val Newton who shared duties.
It’s a small world: Former commodore  Frank Puranik turned up with his two sons, Karl and Jay, to say ‘hello’ to everyone.  The two boys immediately recognised Samuel McAlister who used to go to their primary school, and is now at Stanborough School with them!

See all of Val's photographs of the event in a new tab or window here

Should this event be renamed "The Annette Walter Easter Egg Regatta"? 

Annette has won this event FIVE times before (2001/4/8/10/11) and this win makes it a Record Sixth Time!  She was also Runner Up in 2007 and 2012!  

A big Congratulations to Annette!

A Good End-of-year Report!



Secretary Paul McAlister, Commodore Nigel Davis, 
and Treasurer Tony Hale

The Welly end of season party and AGM (at the Mead Hall, Wheathampstead, on Sunday 2nd April) went with its usual well-polished swing.  Commodore Nigel Davis, who has just completed his first year in office, expressed surprise and gratitude for the way arrangements had fallen into place “without me doing anything!”  He thanked all those who had set up the hall, provided the great spread of food, organised the drinks, and the display of flags and trophies.
Nigel’s “state-of-the-nation” report about the club’s year touched on membership and those who had left, retired, moved, or passed way and were sorely missed.  He recorded “a note of sorrow” about the tragic and untimely death of Piotr Caban, and the gift put together by the ladies in “The Mouse Club” for his wife Sylwia.  He also mentioned the specially-made card of condolence signed by sailing club members.
The Commodore announced that this year’s summer evening sailing sessions would be on Thursdays from 6-8pm (start date still to be decided) and said offers of help from club members would be welcome.
Nigel touched on committee changes and said that Phil Walter was standing down as Race Officer and that Charles Adams had agreed to stand in his place.   He thanked Phil, on behalf of the club, for all his hard work over the last four years.   He also mentioned that David Brown was standing down as a committee member but would continue to act as Webmaster unless another willing volunteer came forward.   He appealed for younger members to activate the club’s “Facebook” page.
Treasurer, Tony Hale, also gave his annual report and said membership stands at 69.  He confirmed that finances were in good shape, therefore the annual subscription would continue at £15 per annum.
Finally, retiring Race Officer Phil said the number of boats on the water had “held up well” but there was an ongoing problem with covering the Duty Rota.  It currently works out that sailors are required to do a duty every 5 or 6 weeks, and he asked for experienced OODs to consider doing duties on their own if they felt up to it.
Before wrapping up his report, Phil pointed out that there were some Junior Trophies which were not being awarded because of a lack of junior racers.  “It would be great if some of our up-and-coming juniors competed for them”, he said.

 Mike Caddy - Most Improved Helm    Charles Adams - Personal Handicap: Alan Maurice Trophy    Tony Hale - Clubmanship Award


 Dave Lambert - Winter Pursuit Series    Sheila Stowe - Winter Handicap Series (Slow Fleet)    Peter Thornley - Helm of the Year

For the full list of Results and Awards for the 2016/17 Season   click here

No Fools Here

The date might have been April 1st, but there were no fools here!  Rather, there were more sailors on the lake than we’d had all winter, all taking advantage of the beautiful warm Spring sunshine and ideal racing conditions.  It was great to see 15 boats make the start of race 1, of the first Burgee of the new season (not all shown in this pic).

Full results of the race can be seen here.

Three seasoned Wellys capsize in the March gusts
(Double Click images below for larger versions)
  Is that Patrick's purple hull?     Dave C. in trouble.    Charles bailing out.
  Laser, Miracle and Super Nova heel in unison    Dave L. and Patrick joust    Annette hiking out.

Spring/Summer Handicap races 1 and 2 on the 18th March, both turned out to be lively affairs, with the wind averaging around 15mph, occasionally boosted by some heavy knock-out gusts.  Seasoned sailors Patrick Rohart, Dave Campbell and Charles Adams all capsized at some point, keeping the Safety Boat team of Sheila Stowe and Paul McAlister on red alert. 

Race Officer Paul Lohr recalled later the next day*:

Race 1:  
 "Alan Campbell got a flying start, increased his lead throughout the race and won by a mile.  He handled the difficult conditions with ease as he was chased by the other Supernovas, with Patrick Rohart beating Dave Lambert over the line, using the capsize manoeuvre!  Mike Caddy was well up until he fell foul of a fishing line and retired.
 "As for the slow fleet, both Comets started late, Phil Walters because he had to borrow a mast from Sheila Stowe.  This meant Charles Adams and Peter Thornley were battling each other -  don't know who won on handicap, I think Peter took line honours."

Race 2: 
 "Again, Alan Campbell disappeared into the distance from the start and finished two laps ahead of many.  Patrick Rohart parked in the trees, and those that avoided the trees went swimming.  I think Dave Lambert was probably runner up.
"Slow fleet - Annette Walters probably won. but basically the conditions won and the order of finishing was irrelevant as few boats were on the same lap."

*(see Latest Race Results for final placings when available) 
For more breezy moments captured by Val, click here

Two new Supernovas bought at the RYA Suzuki Dinghy Show!

Sheila and Maureen model the latest line in Gul drysuites

Dave and Lynn pose for Val's camera.
Several Wellys did some serious spending at this year's RYA Suzuki Dinghy Show at Alexandra Palace. 

Commodore Nigel Davis, and Patrick Rohart each bought a brand new Supernova - Nigel's has a black hull and Patrick's is violet.   

But the spending didn't stop there ... Sheila Stowe and Maureen Blunt both snapped up some well priced and very smart Gul drysuits.  

Pauline Shaw bought some Rooster sailing gloves, a bargain rash vest, and a waterproof bag for onboard her Challenger.  Val Newton - the last of the big spenders - also acquired a new pair of Rooster sailing gloves. 

David and Lynn Lambert were spotted on the way round, as well as Simon and Sheila Fishwick and Ash Cato, who were busy on their Barton Turf Adventure Stand.

General View of the Show

 Our Welly Sailability sailor, Pauline Shaw, found her way to the Challenger stand, along with Sheila Stowe and Maureen Blunt.

That Gull!
The Webmaster apologises! But it's GOOD NEWS!

Peter Thornley was mis-quoted as saying it was "A junior black-headed gull" when in fact it is 
"An adult black headed gull just getting into breeding plumage with it's dark brown head developing"

And the GOOD NEWS?  Well it means Spring is in the air and Summer may not be too far behind.
(Our apologies to Peter and thanks for keeping us right)

Talking of birds, we are told that EGRETS have been spotted on our sailing lake and that they might be breeding among the reed beds.
 Could they be cousins of the one below?
(Another sign that Spring has sprung? Or at least is springing!)

You can’t keep a true Welly off the water!


FIVE Welly sailors braved a morning of icy sleet and bitterly cold temperatures of around zero, to compete in Winter Handicap 13/14 on February 11.   

The intrepid quintet were:   Roger Morse, Tony Hale, Annette Walters, Nigel Davis and Phil Walters.  The frozen OOD in charge was Dave Campbell, assisted by David Brown, and the rescue team suffering the freezing temperatures out on the water were David Lambert and Mike Caddy.

The moral of the story seems to be:  You can’t keep a true Welly off the water!


An adult black headed gull just getting into breeding plumage with it's dark brown head developing - Pete Thornley

Welly Pirates raise £200 for Isabel Hospice

Montages by Val Newton

The dastardly Pirates of Pen-Welwyn (with apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan) were in full blood-curdling form at Welwyn Garden City Sailing Club's annual fundraising social evening, Welly Challenge on Saturday 4th February.

This year, our Master of Ceremonies “Jolly Roger” Morse, was ably assisted by a mischievous monkey called Clive and his attendant Lin Smale.  At the beginning of the evening the trio toured the room checking out the Welly pirate hats and costumes.  Naughty Clive appeared to be very distracted by pirate Annette’s very short skirt!
‘Skull & Crossbone’ flags, flashing silver cutlasses, heavy gold chains, and even a treasure chest, were much in evidence as the Fast Fleet sailors battled against the Slow Fleet  through quizzes and games to gain advantage.

Carol Brown introduced one of the main Welly Challenges.   She asked each of the teams in turn to pick out props from the Treasure Chest.    They were then invited to write an exciting pirate story incorporating what they’d found -  which included such unlikely things as a pair of pink mouse ears, a Christmas cracker, tin of sweets, pair of tights, a skipping rope, a treasure map and an orange German scarf!   The teams were judged on the number of laughs they raised when they told their tales.

Another Welly Challenge required each team to make a cannon capable of firing a table tennis ball the length of the room.  They were given a big cardboard box full of materials including tape and elastic bands.  The technically minded pirates loved this one.  They also had to decorate some goblets with stick-on jewels and gold paper.

After “Jolly Roger” had performed some complicated mathematical calculations, he declared the overall winners to be the Slow Fleet, by two points: 36 to 34.   
The evening raised the grand sum of £200 for Isabel Hospice in memory of Cheryl Luxford and John Pike.  Thank you to all those who contributed in so many ways to the fun and success of the night, especially to Roger Morse.

Deep Freeze

Pic by Charles Adams

Thanks to ice almost two inches thick in places, the only movement on Stanborough Lake on Saturday 21st and 28th January was that of the swans and ducks, looking for melted puddles to sit in.  The dinghy park was strangely quiet as Welly sailors took an enforced winter break due to the wintry deep freeze.

Racing in the Fog for Christmas Puds

This was our Christmas Celebration Sailing event.....    (Before we start serious sailing again on Saturday 7th January)


   Welly sailors had to wait very patiently for dense fog to clear before they could start the Christmas Pud Regatta on the morning of Saturday 17th December.  

Eventually,  the end of Stanborough Lake could just about be seen, so Officer of the Day, Phil Walters, hooted the 10-strong fleet on its way.  Because of the long delay, he decided to run two races, back-to-back without a break in between.  

At the end of the cold foggy morning - sailing in a very light breeze from the south west - the intrepid sailors were glad of the hot punch and mince pies waiting for them onshore - prepared by Marjorie Adams..  

Winners of the much coveted homemade Christmas puds were: Dave Lambert, Dave Campbell, Nigel Davis and Sheila Stowe.  

Thanks to AOD Pauline Shaw who managed to negotiate the dinghy park on her scooter, and to Rescue Driver Peter Edel, who gave lots of encouragement to junior Tom Etherton, who braved the fog and sailed in Nigel's old Comet.


Photos by Val Newton and Tom's Dad, Will Etherton. Click here to see full photo album from the day in a new window.

The "Welly Family" enjoys its Annual Dinner with humour
A very happy and enjoyable evening was had by all at the club's Annual Dinner on Friday 21st October. 

   In his welcome address, Commodore Nigel Davis, characterised the club as a Welly Family, inclusive of all.  He mentioned new members who have joined this year; paused to reflect on the recent sad loss of long-standing members John Pike and Cheryl Luxford; talked about those who can no longer sail but are still very much part of the club, and those that never sail, but support the SWAGS (the Sailing Wives and Girlfriends group onshore).  He also commented on the emerging international dimension of the club - English, Welsh, Scots and Irish .."plus now we have French and Polish. I'm wondering if we'll need passports to join soon!" he joked.  He pointed out that this year's Commodore's Cup even used an Olympic style course.

Charles Adams gave a very humorous Toast to the Club and said Welwyn Garden City Sailing Club was "a friendly club with a great heart".  He pointed out that, in spite of our size, we often have bigger turnouts than much larger clubs such as Grafham and Stewartby.  He ran through some of the club's "claims to fame" such as beating both those bigger clubs in inter club competiitons, and the startup of the Supernova class, funded by Frank Puranik and Keith Bridges, now in its 20th year.  "There were 120 boats at the Supernova Nationals this year!" he said.  Charles also touched on individuals who have achieved outstanding success down the years including Sailability star Pauline Shaw, Tim Hogan who was National Champion in the British Moth, Ian Forsdike who was International Moth National and European Champion, and - with just a little but vital input from the club - Annabel Cattermole who became the Women's World 420 Champion.


Charles made everyone laugh when he said: "but winning is not everything" and went on to quote Samuel Beckets words in 'Waiting for Godot':  "I suspect he had been watching a light wind day at Stanborough but he did include some wise words ... 'Try again. Fail again. Try again. Fail better.'  Then, he mused ... one day, just maybe, when the young whipper snappers have gone off to university, Annette, Shaun, Patrick are at Open meetings, Roger is at the Three Rivers, Peter has gone birdwatching, Alan is on duty and Sheila has bitten the dog again ...  you find yourself moving when everyone else is rafted up in a hole and you get the whiff of your first win... so continue to enjoy a club that offers so much to us all", he urged as he raised his glass to toast the club

New member Piotr Caban and his wife, Sylwia, fly the flag

Have a look at all Val's photographs taken on the evening.
THANKS for the evening go to

    Sheila Stowe for doing so much - organising, table plan and decorations - to make the dinner a success
    Lin Smale for the Fish Supper table quiz which raised £138.43 for the RNLI Lifeboat Appeal.
    Milly and Samuel McAlister, who sold the raffle tickets
    Val Newton for the slide show

The following Awards given out at the Annual Dinner: 


Slow Fleet – SKF Cup
1. Philip Walter
2. Peter Thornley
3. Charles Adams

Fast Fleet - Nabisco Cup
1. Dave Lambert 
2. Roger Morse
3. Patrick Rohart


Kieth Berry Cup 
1. Peter Thornley
2. Dave Lambert
3. Charles Adams

Serious Stuff this Powerboat Training (Sunday 30th October)

(It gets the bird!)

(Peter Thornley writes:) Last w/e Paul McAlister, Nigel, Dave Gooden and I did the powerboat 2 course at Stanborough. This photo (taken on my phone) shows the sort of thing you have to do now!


Actually, some people had broken into the north lake boat compound and put the pedalo in the river. It had floated down to the south lake. Alex pulled it out of the river with the buggy thing, and we had to tow it back to the harbour.

 Paul is driving, Dave Gooden at the stern, and Alex Tonge supervising.  

Intrepid four battle it out in nary a draught  (Saturday 29th October)
What do Welly sailors do when there's no wind ... go sailing of course! 

In spite of the most dire "watching paint dry" conditions on Saturday 29th October, four of our intrepid sailors - Dave Campbell, Charles Adams, Roger Morse and Mike Fairman - took up the challenge and battled it out all morning. 


In the first race, they only managed to complete just one lap of the three-mark course before OOD Paul Lohr was able to put them out of their misery and hoot them over the line.  Poor Mike in his Gull,  lagged way behind, having fallen into a big hole at the top mark and sailed backwards for a while, before finally getting a big cheer as he arrived as coffee was well under way.


But our doughty quartet were determined not to give in, and off they went again for race two, and another creep round the course with nary a draught to stir the air.  Rescue Driver Sheila was on red alert the whole morning, but her services, and those of fully togged up Rescue Assistant, Mike Caddy, were definitely not needed on this occasion.  Great sporting spirit all round!

Charles wins the COMMODORE'S CUP at last! (Saturday 15 October)
Charles Adams was the jubilant winner of the Commodore's Cup on Saturday October 15.  When he finally held the trophy, he immediately turned it over and scanned the dates and names to confirm that his son Richard had won it in 1994, 22 years previously!    2nd place went to Sheila Stowe, who beat Peter Thornley into 3rd place by a margin of just 20 seconds.  And a proud 4th place went to Roger Morse who insisted on having his photograph taken for the record!

Commodore Nigel Davis ran the event single-handed from the Race Hut, with the aid of a spreadsheet specially created by Race Officer Phil Walters.   For the first time ever, Nigel changed the format of the Commodore's Cup to two back-to-back races before the break, followed by one afterwards, with one discard.  He also set a course with a "gate" at the cafe end which gave sailors the choice of going to port or starboard when they got there.


There was an excellent turnout of 15 boats which included two new members competing in the event for the first time -  Piotr Caban in an RS Qba, and junior Tom Etherton in an RS Feva. Well done to both of them.
The morning did not look too promising at first because of a distinct lack of wind, but the breeze slowly filled in during the morning and everyone said afterwards that it had been a very enjoyable sail.  Thanks to Tony Lyall and Alan Pearce who manned the rescue boat.

PUNCH  BOWL 10th September 2016

Dave and Patrick  win the Punch Bowl. 

After an exciting two-and-a-half-hour  pursuit race, Dave Lambert and Patrick Rohart were absolutely elated to win  WGCSC’s coveted Punch Bowl Trophy on Saturday 10th  September. They competed hard in their Supernova  against seven other teams of various classes, in grey and drizzly  conditions. The  rule of this race is that helms have to  change every lap by heading for the shore and jumping out on one side of the  boat, while their partner takes over the helm as quickly as possible from the  other side.  It is always a popular  event with club members who turn out to see how speedily the changeover can be  done – or not – as the case may be!    

There was only one capsize -  Piotr Caban who was caught by an  unexpected gust, but he can be forgiven because he only passed his RYA Level 1  the weekend before! Runners up were Phil Walter and  Sheila Stowe in a Comet. 


Many more Photographs of the participants in action can be seen in a new window here.  Select a photograph to enlarge it and then scroll through them.

Thanks go to OOD Tim Hogan, and  Rescue Boat crew, Peter Edel and Tony Lyall, for making it all  happen. As the finishing positions were  announced at the end of the morning, Marjorie Adams handed round welcome cups of  hot punch to all the sailors and supporters, so appreciation goes to her  too. 

See the results below. 

1.   David Lambert and Patrick Rohart  (Supernova 1114) 
2.   Phil Walter and Sheila Stowe  (Comet  611) 
3.   Charles Adams and Peter Thornley  (Miracle 1625) 
4.   Dave Campbell and Nigel Davis  (Supernova 455) 
5.   David  Brown and Mike Caddy  (Laser  72505) 
6.   Paul  McAlister and Samuel McAlister  (Comet 554)
7.   Roger  Morse and Tom Etherton  (Leader  1130) 
8.   Piotr Caban and Stanley Turner  (RS  Feva)

Pauline Shaw (front right) in Challenger trimaran 'Louise' 266, battling it out on Rutland Water.

WGCSC member Pauline Shaw -  our intrepid Sailability sailor who races a Challenger trimaran up at Grafham every week - has done us proud. She competed in the Challenger UK National Championships 2016 at Rutland Sailing Club over the August Bank Holiday weekend and came home with a Bronze Award and some exciting mentions in Yachts and Yachting.   CONGRATULATIONS!

But that’s just the bare bones of it.  MS sufferer, Pauline put in a herculean effort over the three days, sailing two races on Friday afternoon, four on Saturday and two on Sunday … and we think it’s tiring doing two races on a Saturday morning!  
Her own graphic description of the event sums it all up really well:  

“After the first six races on a trapezoidal course the fleet was divided into two and there were two medal class races just like in the Olympics with a similar course as well.  I had moments of pure brilliance such as when I was first to the windward mark (then messed it up by heading to the wrong next mark) ahead of all the top sailors and when I picked up about five places by tacking right instead of following the pack.  

"Then I had the disasters like when I stopped dead in the water as I had weed all trapped around my rudder and centreboard.  I learnt quite a lot like dumping the main to momentarily slow the boat to then be able to tack out the way.  Worked well twice.

“Maureen* helped Marion on the beach on Friday and then came the call during the last race on Saturday to get fully kitted up as she was likely to be needed on the beach.  So Maureen got all togged up as the sky darkened until it was almost black. 

"Then the torrential rain lashed down, thunder started,the wind whipped everywhere.  It was so dark it was like the middle of the night.  Then this weird mist started rising from the water and gradually visibility deteriorated as a hailstorm went through (very painful).  

"At one point I could only see one other boat.  Then came huge bolts of lightning.  Then the wind just died and five of us were stranded.  Maureen said they couldn’t see any boats from the shore.  As I got back to the shore the first thing I saw was Maureen in her sou’wester up to her waist in the water and weed and then I saw Marion, up to her shoulders catching boats.  We filled up half the ladies changing rooms with wet clothes.

“And yes I know the race probably should have been abandoned sooner but as no-one was hurt I can say it was fantastic fun on the water.  I don’t get many opportunities to experience extreme challenges.”

(both pics courtesy of Richard Johnson, Challenger Class Association)

Maureen*  = WGCSC member Maureen Blunt, who went up to Rutland to help Pauline 

Eager sailors turn up for last summer session

A photocall before getting afloat: l-r, Charles Adams and his grandson Magnus, Natasha Dell, Max Kilpatrick, Stanley Turner, Marcus Raymond, Luke Kelly, Iestyn Toley, Piotr Caban, Paul McAlister, Tony Lyall, Sheila Stowe, Roger Morse and Justin Webb.(See many of them in Val's collage below)

The last of the summer evening sailing sessions took place on Wednesday August 31st, and an eager bunch of sailors turned up for the fun (see pic).   

Seven boats eventually took to the water and set off on courses laid by Tony Lyall and Roger Morse, who directed operations from the rescue boat.   

Keen young sailor Luke Kelly - who now has RYA Level 3 - initially went out as crew for Justin Dell in an RS Vision, but partway through he was handed the helm, and later declared with great delight that they’d “won one of the races”!

Justin’s daughter, Natasha, 13, who started as a summer sailor last year, proved she’d grown in confidence by also helming an RS Vision, and taking out her cousin Max Kilpatrick as crew.

Experienced Wednesday nighter, Stanley Turner, 15, was teamed up with young Iestyn Toley in an RS Vision,  and they had a great time contesting the others in the fleet.    (Tony Lyall has promised to give Stan the opportunity to try out the trapeze on a Flying Dutchman very soon!)

Completing the newbie line-up were two sailors who went out single-handed in RS Qubas - teenager Marcus Raymond, who started sailing this summer and has taken to it like the proverbial “duck to water”, and yachtsman Piotr Caban, who joined the sessions for the first time at the end of July when he arrived from Poland.  He said it was the perfect thing to do after a day at work and he really enjoys dinghy sailing now.

Finally, there were two Welly members who sailed “in company” with the fleet - Charles Adams and his six-year-old grandson Magnus, in their Miracle dinghy, and Paul McAlister in his Comet.

After all the boats were packed away, there was a gathering for the adults at The Sun Pub in Lemsford, to celebrate the success of the sessions......

Roger Morse (and key members of the Welly Team) presented Sheila Stowe with a bunch of sunflowers to thank her for being the chief administrator who, as such, had made sure the sessions run smoothly.  He also thanked Tony Lyall for his great input, as well as all the other members of the Welly Team who had given up their time including Tony Hale, Nigel Davis, Val Newton and David Brown.

Val's Collage:

Sailing a Triangle and Sausage

Nigel Davis, Piotr Caban, Tom Etherton, Tony Lyall, Marcus Raymond, Stan Turner and Tony Hale

Tonight, 27 July 2016, four of our Wednesday Evening improver sailors, Stan, Piotr, Marcus and Tom discovered what it means to sail "a triangle and a sausage" course! 

When Tony Lyall first gave his course instruction from the rescue boat, they all looked a little worried.  But,  with the help of Welly members Nigel Davis and Tony Hale - who were sailing in company,  they very soon understood the idea.  In fact, some "races within the race" began to emerge, with Nigel and Stan competing hard, and Marcus and Tom sailing close and changing places all the time.  Poor Piotr tried to get his RS Q'ba going but he trailed behind everyone.  At the end of the session Tony Lyall asked if he had his bung in ... and Piotr discovered he didn't have one and had been taking in water the whole time!  Piotr is an experienced yachtsman but new to dinghy sailing,  and it came as a big relief when he discovered why he'd found it so impossible to sail.
There are just five more opportunities to have fun in the relaxed Wednesday Evening Improver Sessions - they run to the end of August, from 6pm - 8pm.  

Out thanks go to the Welly Team - Commodore Nigel Davis, Tony Hale, Tony Lyall, Sheila Stowe, Roger Morse and Val Newton plus ad hoc helpers - for organising and running these enjoyable and valuable sessions to improve our members' sailing skills.

We look forward to seeing you all SOON.
Stanley and Piotr enjoyed the breeze!

There was a lively wind on Wednesday 20th July, but only two evening sailors arrived for action.  One was keen regular, Stanley Turner, who sailed an RS Quba.  The other was Piotr Caban (who only arrived in the UK from Poland this month) who had a great time crewing for Tony Hale in his Leader.  At the end of the evening, Tony handed the tiller to Piotr and allowed him to helm back to the lagoon which he did really well.   Piotr is looking at taking an RYA Level 1 course in a week or two at Stanborough.  In the meantime, he would be happy to crew for anyone who can offer a place, until he has completed the course.
    As for Team Welly, Tony Lyall ran the sailing session from the rescue boat and produced his own unique course board - a piece of whiteboard with coloured pegs plus marker pens - to show the course round the marks.  Commodore Nigel Davis, and Tony Hale, sailed in company and helped to demonstrate some good starts.  Roger Morse, was "meeting and greeting", and Val Newton was mark layer, official timekeeper and photographer.  Unfortunately Sheila Stowe was out of action due to a leg injury.
More photographs can be found here (will load in a new tab/window).

The Wednesday summer evening sessions run to the end of August. 
School's out and the summer holidays are here ... why not come and join us from 6pm - 8pm!

Summer Regatta  18th June

Alias "The Dave and Pete Show"

There was a very good turnout and it was a hotly contested race in good wind.  

The winners were:  Fast Fleet: David Lambert and Slow Fleet: Peter Thornley.   


Former Club Race Officer, Ray Wilson was in charge and set the course.

There were a lot of competitors and it was good to see so many new members present.

More New Members on Wednesday 22nd June

A total of nine boats eventually took to the water on Wednesday 22nd June, including two new recruits, Tom Etherton  and Owen Parks.   Also there, was Luke Kelly (back for a second time), Milly McAlister, Alison Clayton and Josephine,  Paul McAlister in his own Comet, Niall Logan in a Leader with daughter Ciara, and Tony Hale in a Leader.  

There had been threats of thunder early in the evening but this never materialised and the sun eventually came out and everyone enjoyed some gentle sailing.  Tony Lyall was setting courses from the safety boat, Roger Morse was driving and Val Newton and her camera hitched a lift. Sheila Stowe organised the evening and was the onshore co-ordinator.


Tom Etherton getting rigged

Tony Lyall explaining the course


Paul McAlister being sent on a second lap

Owen Parks in full concentration mode

Pauline and the Duke

Our Pauline has been 'Making Waves' at Grafham 

The last few weeks have been very eventful for our Sailability sailor, Pauline Shaw, who races a Challenger dinghy at Grafham every week. 

 On the 25th May, Pauline, who is GW Sailability's Sailing Secretary, had the honour of being presented to H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh during his visit to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the creation of Grafham Water reservoir. (Why not ask her about it next time you see her at Stanborough Lake)

 Since then, she has followed this up by taking an overall 5th place in the Grafham Water Regatta, held over the weekend of 18/19 June. 

 Congratulations! She sailed six races getting a 12th, 4th, 7th, 3rd, 5th and 7th, resulting in an overall 5th place out of 17 boats.

Afterwards she said: "I had so much adrenaline that I think it is still flowing through me. The weather helped of course with a very manageable wind and no rain. When I got over the finish line when I got 3rd I had a round of applause from Graham who won. I’m also proud of the race which was a real battle with another sailor, and the last one where I got a rubbish start but slowly worked my way through the fleet to get a 7th place. Now I feel I want to go to Rutland for the multiclass regatta at the beginning, and the UKs at the end, of August." 

 Pauline was supported at Grafham by her friend and fellow Welly, Maureen Blunt. "She worked flat out keeping me calm, getting me ready to sail, getting boats launched and retrieved, etc, etc. and in between she was knitting. Superwoman or what?!"

Summer evening sailing is doing just fine

Some evenings have had mixed weather and one was cancelled due to high winds but June 8th was a perfect sunny evening for getting afloat in spite of the wind being very light.  Best of all, some keen sailors turned up to enjoy the session - the wonderful Clayton family  (Mum Alison, Sam, Josephine and Holly),  and Stanley Turner, all of whom participated last year.

The Welly team that night were: Commodore Nigel Davis and Tony Hale, who sailed in their own boats (a Comet and Leader), Roger Morse and Tony Lyall who devised all the activities from the rescue boat, and Sheila Stowe who gave lots of onshore support.  Val Newton also turned up with a camera ... now there's a surprise. 

Roger and Tony ran some short races to practise starts and points of sailing, and also introduced some natty synchronised tacking manoeuvres on the way back to base, dictated by a whistle signal.

 l-r, Stanley Turner, plus the Clayton family, Sam, Josephine, Holly and Alison.

Lots of sailors turned up on Summer Evening Sailing on 15th June when there were eight boats out including two Welly ones sailed by Nigel and Tony.   Sheila and Paul ran the session from the rescue boat, and Val took pics from the shore - again. This cheerful group pic was taken at the end of the session and says it all really. 

 Left to right:   Sheila Stowe, Milly McAlister, Ciara Logan, Tony Hale, Alison Clayton, Niall Logan (back), Luke Kelly (front), 
Josephine Clayton, Nigel Davis, Samuel McAlister, Stanley Turner, Marcus Raymond and Paul McAlister.

Hightlights so far include...    

Alison taking the helm for the first time after twenty-something years.  She couldn't stop smiling!

Tony Hale attempting to sail with a spinnaker on his Leader ... it looked a bit like a giant pair of droopy drawers.

Milly and Samuel McAlister back from last year, although Sam managed to 'mysteriously' capsize in no wind.

 New young sailor Luke Kelly making his debut - he has RYA Level 3


Marcus Raymond taking the helm of Tony's Leader for the first time.

 Niall Logan introducing his daughter, Ciara, to the joys of sailing.

(To see all of Val's photographs on either evening in another tab, select the the corresponding date, 8 June or 15 June. Download a photograph if you wish or contact the Webmaster If you want a photograph at higher resolution)

 John Pike

It is with regret that we have to report the death of John Pike who passed away at the weekend while in Pembrokeshire with some friends.

John was a member of the club from the early 1980s. He became Treasurer in 1984, Vice Commodore in 1988 and in 1991 he was appointed Commodore. Initially he sailed an OK before changing to a Solo which he had for many years until he gave up sailing. He also kept a small cruising boat down at Margate.

He remained a staunch supporter of the club and latterly he was our Honorary Auditor for many years. Indeed he was re-appointed to that role as recently as at the AGM in March. His support and interest in the club will be very much missed.

The club would like to extend its sincere sympathy to his family and friends

Late March

The last half of March was a very busy time for WGCSC with the AGM on 20 March and the Easter Regatta on the 26th. It was also a sad time when Cheryl Luxford lost her long brave battle against cancer. As Commodore Peter Thornley reported at the time, Cheryl was one of the founder members of the Mouse Club in the 1990s and had been a strong supporter of the club ever since. She will be greatly missed.

The activities of the AGM and the Easter Regatta have been well recorded with photographs and these are used below for your enlightenment and enjoyment. Please use the links included which take you to the full photo albums.

Return to the top


The normal business side of the AGM proceeded without any unforeseen hiccups.

Peter Thornley stood down as Commodore after quite a turbulent period in the life of WGCSC caused by the management and procedural changes at Finesse. However, with Peter’s guidance the club has emerged from these changes as a larger and more active club than ever. Shaun Smale presented Peter with an engraved glass memento to mark the occasion. 


Nigel Davis was unanimously appointed as our new Commodore. Nigel was unfortunately unable to be present at the AGM so the ceremonial handing over of the Commodore’s Cap did not take place until the Easter Regatta as our photographs show.


David Brown stood down as Secretary but has remained on the Committee and as Webmaster. Paul McAlister was appointed as secretary and was thrown in at the deep end, taking the minutes of the AGM in David’s absence. Shaun Smale stood down from the Committee.

The new Officebearers and Committee can be found on the Contacts page of our Website.

The Sailing Results for the 2015/2016 Race Programme were announced and Awards were presented. One person dominated the results in all the major categories except one and that person was Annette Walter who took First Place in all categories in which she was able to compete! (She could not compete in Fast Fleet events!) Congratulations to Annette who becomes our new Helm of the Year. She is being assisted below to carry all her awards!

A full set of photographs of the presentations showing the hilarity of the occasion (!) can be found here (opens in a new window).

AGM Trophy Presentation 2015-2016 Season Results

 The full set of results was as follows.



Fast Fleet - Kane Frostbite Trophy

1   Roger Morse

2   Patrick Rohart

3   Dave Lambert



Slow Fleet - Kane Icicle Trophy

1   Annette Walter

2   Charles Adams

3   Nigel Davis





Winter Pursuit Cup

1   Annette Walter

2   Sheila Stowe

3   Peter Thornley




IBM Trophy

1   Annette Walter

2   Charles Adams

3   Roger Morse




Alan Maurice Trophy

1   Annette Walter

2   Charles Adams

3   Tony Hale





 PORTHOLE TROPHY  - Frank Robinson


 The MAINSTAY TROPHY - Patrick Rohart

 Most IMPROVED HELM – Charles Adams



This was awarded by the Commodore to Phil, who has had 2 terms on the committee, both times being the Race Officer. This last time, in addition to the normal work of organising the race calendar and Duty Rota, and calculating and publishing the race results, he has made the racing marks much easier to handle and during the Winter has kept things running smoothly when Finesse were not present. 

EASTER REGATTA 26 March 2016

Our Race Officer, Phil, responded to a query about attending this event with the advice: “You're welcome to come down but I would suggest this Saturday is not one for casual sailing. There is a weather warning for WGC, with strong winds gusting up to 45mph.”

And he was correct as our photographs show, it was a wild and stormy event. Our thanks to Val for capturing the atmosphere of the day so well. Please take time to visit the photo album (Opens in a new window).


Top Places were taken as follows: (Full results will be published in our Race Results Section when available)

Fast Fleet winner: Patrick Rohart

Slow fleet winner: Peter Thornley

 Overall Winner of the Easter Egg Trophy:  Patrick Rohart